It’s no secret that a chiropractor near me and you might be the answer to all the neck and back pain that you are suffering from. But did you know that a chiro can also help relieve shoulder pain?
Shoulder pain and its causes
Shoulder pain is a general term for a number of health conditions which individuals experience in their shoulder(s), including bursitis, rotator cuff tear, impingement syndrome, and adhesive capsulitis.
What causes shoulder pain varies depending on the injury or condition. Some of the most frequent causes include:
- Repetitive strain from sports or work
- Overuse from a new activity
- A car accident
- A fall
Chiropractors focus on the musculoskeletal system of the body. This means that chiropractic care for shoulder pain focuses on the muscles, bones, and joints, including the tendons, ligaments, fascia, blood vessels, nerves, and spinal discs. Some people experience shoulder pain relief after a few chiropractic treatments, while others need months or years to resolve their symptoms completely.
How can chiropractic care help relieve shoulder pain?
Anatomy wise, there are several common causes of shoulder pain. They include:
- The spine and the ribcage are connected, which means that a problem with one area can affect the other.
- Disrupted nerves and blood vessels can contribute to persistent and chronic pain.
- A misaligned spinal joint can put pressure on the nerves, thus causing pain.
- Disc disease in the neck or mid-back could lead to compression of the nerve root (the part of the nerve that exits through the foramen (tiny holes) in your vertebrae). The compressed nerve could cause shoulder pain.
- The musculoskeletal system is interrelated, meaning that some cases of shoulder pain may be due to problems in the spine or pelvis.
Chiropractic care for shoulder pain relief focuses on identifying the specific cause of your symptoms and finding solutions which are designed specifically for you.
What should you expect during a chiropractic session for shoulder pain relief?
During your first chiropractic session, your chiropractor will inquire about your medical history. This is to determine the origin and causes of the shoulder pain that you are experiencing. If necessary, your chiropractor doctor may also order an X-ray, an MRI scan, or other imaging tools to help determine the cause of your pain and identify the best treatment options.
During your first visit to the ICBC clinic to treat your shoulder pain, you and your chiropractor will most likely have a discussion regarding the following topics:
- Your injury or condition, and how it occurred
- Symptoms such as pain levels, range of motion, and strength in your arm(s)
- Activities that make the shoulder pain better or worse
- Your personal health history, including any other injuries or conditions
- Medications you’re taking
- Previous chiropractic treatments
After your appointment is over, you should receive a written treatment plan with specific instructions on how to continue to care for your shoulder(s) in-between visits. You may also want to try some at-home chiropractic treatment options to speed up the process of shoulder pain relief.
Risks associated with chiropractic care for shoulder pain relief
A visit to a chiropractor near me or you does not require sedation or anesthesia. You can rest easy knowing that there are no associated risks with chiropractic care.
What are the benefits of chiropractic care for shoulder pain relief over other forms of treatment such as medication or surgery?
Chiros have a lot of experience treating musculoskeletal problems, such as neck and back pain, headaches, and joint issues. Chiropractic care is considered to be extremely safe and gentle. As well, it has been proven to be an effective treatment for shoulder pain relief. Furthermore, as mentioned above, chiropractic care is non-invasive and does not require sedation or anesthesia.
With an appropriate diagnosis and individualized treatment from a chiropractor doctor, you can expect:
- Rapid reduction of your symptoms
- Reduced feelings of sadness or anger associated with pain and injury
- Improved physical and psychological health
- Ability to participate in everyday activities without restrictions
How long will it take for chiropractic care to relieve my shoulder pain?
As with any condition, your recovery timeline will vary based on the types of treatment you receive, the severity of your situation, and other factors which are unique to you. Most people experience relief from their shoulder pain within a few sessions. Still, your individual needs and unique case history will determine the number of visits you will need, as well as your overall treatment plan.
It is also important to note that even if you do not have any conditions which need to be addressed by a chiropractor, long-term, regular chiropractic care is also great for maintaining joint health and reducing the risk of recurrence or future injury.
If you’re suffering from shoulder pain, here are five things you could try to alleviate your pain, in addition to visiting a chiropractor near me and you.
- Adjust your posture. Most often, the root cause of shoulder pain is bad posture. A chiro can help adjust your posture to put your shoulders in alignment.
- Strengthen your muscles. Weak muscles can also contribute to shoulder pain. A chiropractor can recommend exercises to help strengthen your muscles and alleviate your pain.
- Ice it. When your shoulder is sore, applying ice can help reduce the inflammation and ease your pain. If you don’t have an ice pack, simply wrap some ice cubes in a towel and apply them to your shoulder for about twenty minutes.
- Stop smoking! Smoking causes muscle weakness, which is not good if you’re trying to relieve shoulder pain. It also cuts down the amount of oxygen that gets to your muscles and tissues, making them hurt more. The only way to get rid of shoulder pain if you smoke is to make some changes in your life.
Chiros are experts when it comes to treating discomfort. They can help relieve most kinds of soft tissue pain, especially shoulder pain. A chiropractor will use a combination of spinal manipulation and massage techniques to improve your range of motion and ease your muscle tension.
You deserve a pain-free Life!
Getting rid of shoulder pain by visiting a chiropractor today and get everything you need to know about chiropractic treatment. The professionals at Fountain Wellness can help you get over shoulder pain. Their team will assess your condition and develop a treatment plan for you. They are an certified ICBC clinic that will be able to meet your unique needs. Contact them and set up an appointment today to start feeling better now.